In a few days time I will be taking the last step of the Long Straight Walk. It will be a small step for man but not necessarily a giant leap for anyone. Now that I am allowing myself the indulgence of picturing those final moments for the first time I can actually believe I can finish this walk.
- Over the last few days the walk has taken me through some more stunning parts of Scotland. Glenmore Lodge to Grantown on Spey was a walk I would recommend to anyone who wants a days rambling along a well signposted and maintained path.
With 4 of the last 5 walking days being the most challenging of the walk so far it was a great relief to get the first reset day in more than a fortnight. Now let me take you through what a rest day means.
- Wake up at usual time
- Change plans for accommodation twice
- liaise with team re change in plans for evenings travel
- check times for light aircraft flight
push out some social media posts
- get up
- radio interview live on BBC Radio Scotland
- arrange time for STV News interview
- go into Macrae & Dick to thank for sponsorship
- meet with STV News do some walking for news item
- Meet Yvonne and the rest of the team
- go for lunch
- get 1st haircut in 6 weeks (probably should have done that before TV interview)
- Trip to the airport to meet my pilot for the day, Hughie Urquhart
- Fly over yesterday’s finish point and today’s start point
- take photos of both
- Scare the living daylights out of Yvonne and Richard as we buzz over the top of their heads, leaving a clear 2 foot gap 😄😄
- dinner at Dornoch Castle with Hughie’s dad
- Drive up the road to our b&b for the night
- some more social media posting
Well thank god I had a rest day! Raring to go this morning. Need to concentrate on getting the next 18 miles completed. Roll on Sunday!!